Jump to navigation Jump to search
alternately (not comparable)
- In reciprocal succession; succeeding by turns; in alternate order.
- (mathematics) By alternation; when, in a proportion, the antecedent term is compared with antecedent, and consequent.
- (chiefly Canada, US, sometimes proscribed) Alternatively.
- 2008 July 18, Jennifer 8. Lee, “A ‘Women Only’ Restroom Renovation Tips the Balance at Grand Central”, in New York Times:
- Downstairs, he was informed. That is, down the escalators, where there is both a women’s room (often with a line) and a men’s room (almost never with a line). Or alternately, he could ask the station master to buzz him into the “family” bathroom. He opted to go downstairs.
succeding by turns