Jump to navigation Jump to search
- plural of
- Compensation for a loss or injury; recompense; reparation.
- Amends were made for the damage and no charges were filed.
- 1905, Arthur Conan Doyle, “The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist”, in The Return of Sherlock Holmes:
- As to you, Mr. Carruthers, I think that you have done what you could to make amends for your share in an evil plot.
- Many consider amends a plural-only noun, but historically and in some current usage the singular appears.
- Most commonly found in to make amends.
compensation for a loss or injury
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of amend
- amends at OneLook Dictionary Search
- amends in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911.