Jump to navigation Jump to search
- plural of
- Compensation for a loss or injury; recompense; reparation.
- Amends were made for the damage and no charges were filed.
- 1903 December 26, A[rthur] Conan Doyle, “The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist”, in The Return of Sherlock Holmes, New York, N.Y.: McClure, Phillips & Co., published February 1905, →OCLC:
- As to you, Mr. Carruthers, I think that you have done what you could to make amends for your share in an evil plot.
- Many consider amends a plural-only noun, but historically and in some current usage the singular appears.
- Most commonly found in to make amends.
compensation for a loss or injury
- “amends”, in OneLook Dictionary Search.
- “amends”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.