Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (uncountable) The quality or state of being atrocious; enormous wickedness; extreme criminality or cruelty.
- (countable) An extremely cruel act; a horrid act of injustice.
- 1943, Declaration of the Four Nations on General Security:
- The United Kingdom, the United States and the Soviet Union have received from many quarters evidence of atrocities, massacres and cold-blooded mass executions which are being perpetrated by Hitlerite forces in many of the countries they have overrun and from which they are now being steadily expelled.
extremely cruel act
- atrocity in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- atrocity in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- atrocity at OneLook Dictionary Search