Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Frightful, evil, cruel or monstrous.
- Prisons have been the sites of atrocious mistreatment of prisoners.
- Offensive or heinous.
- Very bad; abominable or disgusting.
1898, Winston Churchill, chapter 4, in The Celebrity:
- The Celebrity, by arts unknown, induced Mrs. Judge Short and two other ladies to call at Mohair on an afternoon when Mr. Cooke was trying a trotter on the track. The three returned wondering and charmed with Mrs. Cooke; they were sure she had had no hand in the furnishing of that atrocious house.
- Their taste in clothes is just atrocious.
- Nouns to which "atrocious" is often applied: crime, act, murder, condition, spelling, grammar.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.