Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To wear down through attrition, especially mechanical attrition
- To engage in attrition; to quit or drop out
- To be reduced in quantity through attrition
2001, Lynne Hansen, “Language Attrition in Contexts of Japanese Bilingualism”, in Studies in Japanese Bilingualism, ISBN 185359489X, page 359:
- The interference theory of second language loss holds that forgetting is actually interference between the attriting language and the language replacing it.
- (military) To lose, or to kill troops by attrition due to sustained firepower