Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (now rare) Characteristic of someone who does manual labour for a living; coarse, vulgar.
- Related to mechanics (the branch of physics that deals with forces acting on mass).
- mechanical engineering
- Related to mechanics (the design and construction of machines).
- mechanical dictionary
- Done by machine.
- mechanical task
- Using mechanics (the design and construction of machines): being a machine.
- mechanical arm
- As if performed by a machine: lifeless or mindless.
- a mechanical reply to a question
- (of a person) Acting as if one were a machine: lifeless or mindless.
- The pianist was too mechanical.
1918, W. B. Maxwell, chapter 15, The Mirror and the Lamp:
- Edward Churchill still attended to his work in a hopeless mechanical manner like a sleep-walker who walks safely on a well-known round. But his Roman collar galled him, his cossack stifled him, his biretta was as uncomfortable as a merry-andrew's cap and bells.
- (informal) Handy with machines.
- Why don't you ask Joe to fix it? He's very mechanical.
Terms derived from mechanical
done by machine
handy with machines