- automatick (obsolete)
From French automatique, from Ancient Greek αὐτόματον (autómaton), neuter of αὐτόματος (autómatos, “self-moving, moving of oneself, self-acting, spontaneous”), from αὐτός (autós, “self, myself”) + μέμαα (mémaa, “to wish eagerly, strive, yearn, desire”).
- (UK) IPA(key): /ˌɔː.təˈmæt.ɪk/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˌɔː.təˈmæt.ɪk/, [ˌɔː.ɾəˈmæɾ.ɪk]
- Rhymes: -ætɪk
- Capable of operating without external control or intervention.
- Done out of habit or without conscious thought.
- Synonyms: instinctive, perfunctory, thoughtless
- Antonym: voluntary
- The reaction was automatic: flight!
- Absent-minded doodling is a form of automatic art.
- 2021 November 10, Dan Shive, El Goonish Shive (webcomic), Comic for Wednesday, Nov 10, 2021:
- "I don't know why! Sometimes I feel like a girl! Sometimes a guy! I don't know why I feel that way! I just do! Always have! I can't remember not feeling this way! How do you explain something as natural and automatic to you as breathing?!"
- Necessary, inevitable, prescribed by logic, law, etc.
- Spitting at another player means an automatic red card.
- (of a firearm such as a machine gun) Firing continuously as long as the trigger is pressed until ammunition is exhausted.
- (of a handgun) An autoloader; a semi-automatic or self-loading pistol, as opposed to a revolver or other manually actuated handgun, which fires one shot per pull of the trigger; distinct from machine guns.
- The US Army adopted John Browning's M1911 pistol as its sidearm, chambered in .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol).
- (computing, of a local variable) Automatically added to and removed from the stack during the course of function calls.
- (mathematics, of a group) Having one or more finite-state automata.
- automatic data processing machine
- automatic differentiation
- automatic distance control
- automatic half-barrier level crossing
- automatic leveling system
- automatic rifle
- automatic teller
- automatic teller machine
- automatic transmission
- automatic writing
- section automatic weapon
- semi-automatic transmission
- squad automatic weapon
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
automatic (plural automatics)
- A car with automatic transmission.
- I never learned to drive a stick. I can only drive an automatic.
- A semi-automatic pistol.
- 1934, Agatha Christie, chapter 9, in Murder on the Orient Express, London: HarperCollins, published 2017, page 262:
- 'The automatic under his pillow gave the lie to that statement.'