See also: backoff
- (literally) To move backwards away from something.
- I tried to back off slowly from the tiger in my path.
- (idiomatic) To become less aggressive, particularly when one had appeared committed to act.
- You need to back off, or the situation could turn ugly.
- I was going to sue, until my legal advisors told me to back off.
- (idiomatic) To lower the setting of.
- Could you back off the volume a bit? It's really loud.
To become less aggressive, particularly when one had appeared committed to act
To lower the setting of