Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
backing (plural backings)
- Support, especially financial.
- It's a volunteer organization that works with backing from the city and a few grants.
- A liner or other material added behind or underneath.
- The cardboard backing gives the notebook a little extra stiffness.
- (music) Musicians and vocalists who support the main performer
support, especially financial
material added behind or underneath
backing (not comparable)
- (music) That which provides support for the main performer