Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Support, especially financial.
- It's a volunteer organization that works with backing from the city and a few grants.
- A liner or other material added behind or underneath.
- The cardboard backing gives the notebook a little extra stiffness.
- 1959 October, Norman Jones, “The Manchester Ship Canal Railway”, in Trains Illustrated, page 495:
- In general, the locomotives are painted dark green; the numberplates are brass, with a red backing, and are usually carried on the tank side.
- (television, film) A backdrop.
- 2013, Gerald Millerson, TV Scenic Design, page 134:
- The simplest and cheapest answer is to introduce a scenic backing of some kind, a backdrop, a drape, some flats to restrict the shot and obscure whatever is outside.
- (music) Musicians and vocalists who support the main performer.
- The mounting of a horse or other animal.
- The action of putting something back; a switching into reverse.
support, especially financial
material added behind or underneath
(music) Musicians and vocalists who support the main performer
backing (not comparable)
- (music) Providing support for the main performer.