Jump to navigation Jump to search
backword (plural backwords)
- A contention, retort, or reply.
- A contradiction or answer to put off an engagement; a countermand.
- 2020, Hilary Mantel, The Mirror and the Light, Fourth Estate, page 840:
- Richard has compounded with some Italians to paint a mural of his triumph [...] The time may come when the scene is bitter in his eyes, but he should paint it anyway. He should not give backword to the Italians — it is how they get their living.
- A section of commentary at the end of a book.