Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive, intransitive) To give a written or spoken response, especially to a question, request, accusation or criticism; to answer.
- (intransitive) To act or gesture in response.
- Joanne replied to Pete's insult with a slap to his face.
- 1988, Emmanuel Doe Ziorklui, Ghana: Nkrumah to Rawlings
- It is a sound to be dreaded until you ascertain that it is being made by friendly forces; even then, your welcome to it must be tempered with some caution, because gunfire usually leads to replying gunfire […]
- (intransitive) To repeat something back; to echo.
- respond, answer, retort, answer back, react, rejoin, counter, return, revert, follow up, get back to
to give a written or spoken response
to act or gesture in response
to repeat something back
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
reply (plural replies)
written or spoken response
something given in reply