Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Rhymes: -ɒnd
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɹəˈspɒnd/, /ˈɹiːˌspɒnd/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɹəˈspɑnd/
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive, intransitive) To say something in return; to answer; to reply.
- to respond to a question or an argument
- (intransitive) To act in return; to carry out an action or in return to a force or stimulus; to do something in response.
- (transitive, intransitive) To correspond with; to suit.
- (transitive) To satisfy; to answer.
- The prisoner was held to respond the judgment of the court.
- (intransitive) To be liable for payment.
to say something in return
to act in return
to say in reply, to respond — see return
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
respond (plural responds)
- A response.
- A versicle or short anthem chanted at intervals during the reading of a lection.
- (architecture) A half-pillar, pilaster, or any corresponding device engaged in a wall to receive the impost of an arch.
- respond in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911.
- respond in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.