- 1 English
- 2 Czech
- 3 Middle Dutch
- 4 Middle Welsh
arch (plural arches)
- An inverted U shape.
- An arch-shaped arrangement of trapezoidal stones, designed to redistribute downward force outward.
- (architecture) An architectural element having the shape of an arch
- Any place covered by an arch; an archway.
- to pass into the arch of a bridge
- (archaic, geometry) An arc; a part of a curve.
inverted U shape
arrangement of trapezoidal stones
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
- “arch” in John A. Simpson and Edward S. C. Weiner, editors, The Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd edition, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1989, ISBN 978-0-19-861186-8.
- To form into an arch shape
- The cat arched its back
- To cover with an arch or arches.
to form into arch
- Knowing, clever, mischievous.
- I attempted to hide my emotions, but an arch remark escaped my lips.
- [He] spoke his request with so arch a leer.
- 1906, O. Henry, By Courier
- A certain melancholy that touched her countenance must have been of recent birth, for it had not yet altered the fine and youthful contours of her cheek, nor subdued the arch though resolute curve of her lips.
- 1912, Zane Grey, Riders of the Purple Sage, Chapter 3
- Lassiter ended there with dry humor, yet behind that was meaning. Jane blushed and made arch eyes at him.
- Principal; primary.
- the most arch act of piteous massacre
knowing, clever, mischievous
arch (plural arches)
- arch in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- arch in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- arch at OneLook Dictionary Search
arch m anim
- sheet (in printing)
Declension of arch
This adjective needs an inflection-table template.
Substantive form of the adjective arch.
This noun needs an inflection-table template.
- “arch (I)”, in Vroegmiddelnederlands Woordenboek, 2000
- “arch (II)”, in Vroegmiddelnederlands Woordenboek, 2000
- “arch (I)”, in Middelnederlandsch Woordenboek, 1929
- “arch (II)”, in Middelnederlandsch Woordenboek, 1929