Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈnoʊɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈnəʊɪŋ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊɪŋ
- Possessing knowledge or understanding; intelligent.
- 1698, Robert South, Twelve Sermons upon Several Subjects and Occasions:
- The knowing and intelligent part of the world.
- Shrewd or showing clever awareness.
- a knowing rascal
- Suggestive of private knowledge.
- 2017 July 30, Ali Barthwell, “Ice and fire finally meet in a front-loaded episode of Game Of Thrones (newbies)”, in The Onion AV Club:
- Jon and Tyrion greet each other with the words that have been used against them as weapons, sharing a knowing smile.
suggestive of private knowledge
knowing (plural knowings)
- The act or condition of having knowledge.