Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: riposté
riposte (plural ripostes)
- (fencing) A thrust given in return after parrying an attack.
- (by extension) A counter-attack in any combat or any sport
- 2012 September 7, Dominic Fifield, “England start World Cup campaign with five-goal romp against Moldova”, in The Guardian:
- Some context is required. Moldova were weak at the back and blunt up front, and have failed to score in six matches stretching back to last October, with only hints at English complacency offering them glimpses of summoning a riposte.
- (figurative) A quick and usually witty response to a taunt.
- Synonym: retort
- 1961 March, “Talking of trains”, in Trains Illustrated, pages 129–130:
- This face-saving reminds us of some American ripostes a few months back when their space rockets seemed disinclined to leave the earth very far behind; after all, they said, the Russians are only chucking heavy machinery at the moon, whereas we're trying to be more sophisticated and get a sewing-machine up there.
- An answer or reply, rapidly uttered, in response to a question or problem.
- 1963, J P Donleavy, A Singular Man, published 1963 (USA), page 204:
- I left him and went to a tavern by the quays where the college bucks were drinking and singing hymns. There was Giles who invited old men back to his college apartments for games. Members of the rowing club riposted, for God's sake, man, clean up your life.
a quick and usually witty response to a taunt
an answer or reply, rapidly uttered
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (fencing) To attempt to hit an opponent after parrying an attack.
- To respond quickly; particularly if the response is humorous.
fencing: to attempt to hit an opponent after parrying an attack
to respond quickly; particularly if the response is humorous
riposte f (plural ripostes)
- riposte (fencing; witty response; quick reply)
- inflection of :
- “riposte”, in Trésor de la langue française informatisé [Digitized Treasury of the French Language], 2012.
riposte f pl
riposte f pl
- esporti, estirpo, estirpò, petrosi, pistore, portesi, posteri, potersi, protesi, ripesto, ripestò, spietro, spietrò, stiperò, storpie