Jump to navigation Jump to search
balikbayan (plural balikbayans)
- (Philippines) A Filipino returning to the Philippines after spending time in another country. [from 20th c.]
- 1990, Conrado De Quiros, Flowers from the rubble, page 139:
- It's the time of year when balikbayans descend upon us in droves Ito remind us of how benighted we are.
- 2011, Philippine Daily Inquirer, (headline), 12 July:
- 2 balikbayans kidnapped in Zamboanga City.
- 2015, Elaine Marie Carbonell Laforteza, The Somatechnics of Whiteness and Race, page 132:
- This dual citizenship enables him to return to the Philippines as a balikbayan.