Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Adjective and noun: IPA(key): /ɛksˈpætɹɪɪt/, /ɛksˈpeɪ.tɹi.ɪt/
- Verb: IPA(key): /ɛksˈpætɹɪˌeɪt/, /ɛksˈpeɪ.tɹiˌeɪt/
- Hyphenation: ex‧pa‧tri‧ate
expatriate (not comparable)
- Of, or relating to, people who are expatriates.
- an expatriate mailing list
of people who are expatriates
expatriate (plural expatriates)
person living outside own country
person who has been banished from his own country
- (transitive) To banish; to drive or force (a person) from his own country; to make an exile of.
- (intransitive) To withdraw from one’s native country.
- (intransitive) To renounce the rights and liabilities of citizenship where one is born and become a citizen of another country.
withdraw from one’s country
renounce citizenship and become a citizen of another country