Jump to navigation Jump to search
repatriate (plural repatriates)
- a person who has returned to the country of origin or whose citizenship has been restored.
a person who has returned to the country of origin or whose citizenship has been restored
- (transitive) To restore (a person) to his or her own country.
- 1997, Haruki Murakami, Jay Rubin, transl., The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, New York: Alfred A. Knopf, Inc.; republished New York: Vintage Books, 1998, →ISBN, page 561:
- Early in 1948, a rumor spread through camp that the Japanese prisoners of war were finally going to be allowed to go home, that a ship would be sent to repatriate us in the spring.
- (transitive) To return (artworks, museum exhibits, etc.) to their country of origin.
- (transitive) To convert a foreign currency into the currency of one's own country.
to restore somebody to his or her own country