Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈblækbɔɹd/, /ˈblækboɹd/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈblækbɔːd/
Audio (US) (file)
- Hyphenation: black‧board
blackboard (plural blackboards)
- A large flat surface, finished with black slate or a similar material, that can be written upon with chalk and subsequently erased; a chalkboard.
2012 March 1, Brian Hayes, “Pixels or Perish”, American Scientist, volume 100, number 2, page 106:
- Drawings and pictures are more than mere ornaments in scientific discourse. Blackboard sketches, geological maps, diagrams of molecular structure, astronomical photographs, MRI images, the many varieties of statistical charts and graphs: These pictorial devices are indispensable tools for presenting evidence, for explaining a theory, for telling a story.
a surface that can be written upon with chalk
- To use a blackboard to assist in an informal discussion.