Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
bridesmaid (plural bridesmaids)
- A woman who attends a bride during her wedding ceremony, as part of the main wedding party.
- I'd love to be your bridesmaid.
- (sports, entertainment) A person or team who perennially finishes well, but never first.
woman who attends the bride at a wedding ceremony
- To act as a bridesmaid for; to attend a bride during her wedding ceremony.
- 1915, George Jean Nathan, Henry Louis Mencken, The smart set: a magazine of cleverness, Volume 45, page 204,
- And what's this? that isn't Herbie Frost with you in the canoe ; why he was best man when I bridesmaided Corinne.
1989, Kevin Killian, Shy, page 233:
- "It's in my Data-fax, right here! December Bride: and I'm supposed to bridesmaid!"
2007, Siri Agrell, Bad Bridesmaid: True Tales of Bachelorette Brawls and Taffeta Tantrums, page 150:
- After ten years of friendship and just six months of lackluster bridesmaiding, the women did not even get an invitation to the wedding.
2010, Mark Townsend, Jesus Outside the Box: Twelve Spiritual Tales of the Unexpected, page 308:
- Still they bridesmaided for her.