Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- rough, cruel, unfeeling, sore, severe (especially of weather, season, etc.), hard to bear
- strict, strait
- stingy, niggardly, illiberal, thrifty; obstinate
- abstruse, difficult, hard (to understand, explain, perform, etc.)
Mae'r gwaith yn galed iawn ― The work is very hard
- hardy, tough
- (of water) hard
- (phonology, of a consonant) hard, voiceless
- (difficult): anodd
- caledu (“to harden, become hardened, dry, grow unfeeling or stubborn, render hard or obdurate; to pronounce as voiceless; to grow stingy or niggardly; to become costive or constipated, constipate; to temper”)
|Note: Some of these forms may be hypothetical. Not every
possible mutated form of every word actually occurs.
- “caled” in Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru.