Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (analytical chemistry) Any of various techniques for the qualitative or quantitative separation of the components of mixtures of compounds; all characterised by the use of a mobile phase (gas or liquid) moving relative to a stationary phase (liquid or solid) - the differences between the rates of migration of the compounds between the two phases effects the separation.
- gas-liquid chromatography - GLC
- high performance liquid chromatography - HPLC
- ion exchange chromatography
- paper chromatography
- thin layer chromatography - TLC
analytical chemistry: technique for separation of components in a mixture