Jump to navigation Jump to search
clashing (plural clashings)
- A clash; the sound or action of clashing; violent collision.
- conflicting, contrasting, or contrary; inconsonant, incompatible, or irreconcilable
- mismatched, inharmonious, discordant or dissonant, not fitting well together (especially in regards to aesthetics, colors, clothing, or sounds)
- adverse or antagonistic; disagreeing or opposing
- Producing a clash or series of clashes.
- 1886, Peter Christen Asbjørnsen, translated by H.L. Brækstad, Folk and Fairy Tales, page 154:
- From inside the mill there came a whizzing, whirring, and clashing sound, and now and then a bright saw-blade flashed in the air, as if in combat with the spirits of the night, to cut the stumps and uneven ends off the logs.