Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
coxswain (plural coxswains)
- In a ship's boat, the helmsman given charge of the boat's crew.
- In a rowing crew, the member who steers the shell and coordinates the power and rhythm of the rowers.
- (archaic) The second or third mate of a vessel, in charge of the master's barge.
- (naval) A rank or position.
- Canadian Navy Coxswain (or Capitaine d'Armes) is the senior non-commissioned officer aboard a ship
- British Royal Navy Cadets Cadet Coxswain is the highest normal rank which may be achieved.
crew member who helms a boat
a crew member in a rowing team who gives the rhythm
- (transitive) To act as coxswain for.
- to cockswain a college rowing team