Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Southern US, Midwestern US and Western US) Various freshwater crustaceans, crayfish.
- (South Africa) Various marine crustaceans, rock lobster; especially Jasus lalandii, the Cape crawfish.
- (Quebec, Canada, slang, derogatory) A slur against Anglo-Canadians used in some corners of Quebec (including the Gaspé).
crayfish — see crayfish
slur against Anglo-Canadians in parts of Quebec
- (colloquial, Southern US) To backpedal, desert or withdraw (also used with out).
- 1968, Charles Portis, True Grit:
- I have never been one to flinch or crawfish when faced with an unpleasant task.
- “crawfish”, in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary.
- “crawfish, n.”, in OED Online , Oxford, Oxfordshire: Oxford University Press, launched 2000.