Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Britain, slang, offensive, ethnic slur) A person of Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, or other Mediterranean descent.
- (US, Australia, slang, offensive, ethnic slur) A person of Italian descent.
- The meaning behind the word is still offensive in the United States. It has become less pejorative among certain groups reclaiming the term in recent years, with people of Italian, Spanish, or Portuguese origin themselves adopting the term. In the Upper Midwest region of the United States, the term is used for several Italian-inspired food items with no apparent pejorative connotation.
- Usually a sailor or deckhand. "Diego" is the Portuguese nickname for any deckhand and "jack" is the British equivalent.
- The Hill in St. Louis, an Italian-American enclave, is often referred to colloquially as "Dago Hill."
person of Italian descent — see wop