dawg (plural dawgs)
- Pronunciation spelling of .
- That dawg won't hunt.
- (slang) Dude, bud, pal, used to address a close male friend.
- Synonyms: see Thesaurus:friend
- Sup, dawg.
- 2014, “0 to 100 / The Catch Up”, performed by Drake:
- All up in my phone, lookin' at pictures from the other night / She gon' be upset if she keep scrollin' to the left, dawg
Using this spelling of dog emphasizes dialect and should only be done if this is explicitly intended (or if one is trying to distinguish meaning, such as between the term of address and the animal). Every example above could also be written with dog, de-emphasizing dialect.
- “dawg” in Lexico, Dictionary.com; Oxford University Press.
- “dawg” in Merriam–Webster Online Dictionary.
- Wikipedia article on the cot-caught merger in various English dialects