See also: dérision
- Act of treating with disdain.
2011 December 15, Felicity Cloake, “How to cook the perfect nut roast”, in Guardian:
- One of the darlings of the early vegetarian movement (particularly in its even sadder form, the cutlet), it was on the menu at John Harvey Kellogg's Battle Creek Sanitarium [sic], and has since become the default Sunday option for vegetarians – and a default source of derision for everyone else.
1969, Mario Puzo, The Godfather:
- There was just a touch of derision in the Don's voice and Hagen flushed.
act of treating with contempt
- derision in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- derision in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911