Probably from dur, British informal exclamation for stupid, or from duh, an exclamation indicating faltering speech and assumed stupidity, glottalized for emphasis. It is believed that the word came from The Succubus, an episode of South Park.
Audio (AU) (file)
- (slang) Draws attention to an act of foolishness or stupidity.
- I put chips in my soup instead of crackers. Derp.
- 1997 February 25, Treichler, Pete, “Re: Patrick Incompentence Redux”, in alt.sports.hockey.nhl.pit-penguins, Usenet, message-ID <Yn4ObEO00iV6A1SFx_@andrew.cmu.edu>#1/1>:
- Now that I think of it, i'm surprised that you didn't make fun of his first name as well- 'How could you believe in a guy who has a girly first name?' derp- you are a fool.
- (slang) placeholder for unimportant details, blah blah blah
- 2011 January 10, Allen, Tom, “Re: Expression of a woman's sexuality”, in soc.sexuality.general, Usenet, message-ID <firstname.lastname@example.org>:
- Me: Hi, remember me from SSG? Can I ask you about herping the derp?
R1: Oh, hai Tom. Sure, that would be the derp that was herping blah blah blah...
In the placeholder sense, often used with herp. Can be used like a noun or a verb or with various suffixes. Connotes that whatever it stands in for does not matter, and often that it is foolish or nonsensical.
- (slang) To act stupidly or foolishly
- (slang) To make a stupid mistake
- 2011 August 22, Scion-of-Fenrir, “Re: 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign”, in Google Groups: /tg/'s Google group, email@example.com:
- Wait, so we're allowed to have magic items from the start? I must of derped pretty hard.
- (slang, of eyes) To point in different directions; (of a person) To have a facial expression with one's eyes pointing in different directions.
- 2012 April 22, Double Eight, “Re: Next Meetup”, in Google Groups: Windy City Bronies:
- Also, there was a Derpy cameo in this one, but she didn't have derped eyes.
- 2012 October 25, Benchoff, Brian, “Electronic demon costume is surprisingly unnerving”, in Hack A Day:
- The eyes are wired to the same I2C address to prevent derping, but the three red mouth LED matrices are capable of displaying anything that fits on an 8×24 LED matrix.
derp (plural derps)
Old High German
- Alternative form of