Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
This etymology is incomplete. You can help Wiktionary by elaborating on the origins of this term.
- (slang) Draws attention to an act of foolishness or stupidity.
- I put chips in my soup instead of crackers. Derp.
- (slang) placeholder for unimportant details, blah blah blah
In the placeholder sense, often used with herp. Can be used like a noun or a verb or with various suffixes. Connotes that whatever it stands in for does not matter, and often that it is foolish or nonsensical.
- To act stupidly or foolishly
- To make a stupid mistake
2011 August 22, Scion-of-Fenrir, “Re: 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign”, Google Groups: /tg/'s Google group:
- Wait, so we're allowed to have magic items from the start? I must of derped pretty hard.
- (slang, of eyes) To point in different directions; (of a person) To have a facial expression with one's eyes pointing in different directions.
2012 April 22, Double Eight, “Re: Next Meetup”, Google Groups: Windy City Bronies:
- Also, there was a Derpy cameo in this one, but she didn't have derped eyes.
2012 October 25, Brian Benchoff, “Electronic demon costume is surprisingly unnerving”, Hack A Day:
- The eyes are wired to the same I2C address to prevent derping, but the three red mouth LED matrices are capable of displaying anything that fits on an 8×24 LED matrix.
Old High German
- Alternative form of