Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (slang) Draws attention to an act of foolishness or stupidity.
- I put chips in my soup instead of crackers. Derp.
- 1997 February 25, Treichler, Pete, “Re: Patrick Incompentence Redux”, in alt.sports.hockey.nhl.pit-penguins, Usenet, message-ID <Yn4ObEO00iV6A1SFx_@andrew.cmu.edu>#1/1>:
- Now that I think of it, i'm surprised that you didn't make fun of his first name as well- 'How could you believe in a guy who has a girly first name?' derp- you are a fool.
- (slang) placeholder for unimportant details, blah blah blah
- 2011 January 10, Allen, Tom, “Re: Expression of a woman's sexuality”, in soc.sexuality.general, Usenet, message-ID <email@example.com>:
- Me: Hi, remember me from SSG? Can I ask you about herping the derp?
R1: Oh, hai Tom. Sure, that would be the derp that was herping blah blah blah...
In the placeholder sense, often used with herp. Can be used like a noun or a verb or with various suffixes. Connotes that whatever it stands in for does not matter, and often that it is foolish or nonsensical.
- (slang) To act stupidly or foolishly
- (slang) To make a stupid mistake
- 2011 August 22, Scion-of-Fenrir, “Re: 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign”, in Google Groups: /tg/'s Google group:
- Wait, so we're allowed to have magic items from the start? I must of derped pretty hard.
- (slang, of eyes) To point in different directions; (of a person) To have a facial expression with one's eyes pointing in different directions.
- 2012 April 22, Double Eight, “Re: Next Meetup”, in Google Groups: Windy City Bronies:
- Also, there was a Derpy cameo in this one, but she didn't have derped eyes.
- 2012 October 25, Benchoff, Brian, “Electronic demon costume is surprisingly unnerving”, in Hack A Day:
- The eyes are wired to the same I2C address to prevent derping, but the three red mouth LED matrices are capable of displaying anything that fits on an 8×24 LED matrix.
Old High German
- Alternative form of