Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) One who debates from a viewpoint which he or she may not actually hold, usually to determine its validity or simply for the sake of argument.
- I don't really believe all that – I was just playing devil's advocate.
- 1985, Albert Brooks as David Howard, Lost in America, written by Albert Brooks:
- Now, play devil's advocate. Can't you live 20 years on $145,000 if you're living out of a motor home and just eating and painting and writing books? I mean, this is what we talked about when we were 19. Remember, we kept saying, "Let's find ourselves," but we didn't have a dollar! So, we watched television instead.
- (historical, Roman Catholicism) A canon lawyer appointed by the Church to argue against the canonization of the proposed candidate.
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked