- determin (obsolete)
From Middle English determinen, from Old French determiner, French déterminer, from Latin determinare (“to bound, limit, prescribe, fix, determine”), from de + terminare (“to limit”), from terminus (“bound, limit, end”).
- (UK) IPA(key): /dɪˈtɜːmɪn/
- (US) IPA(key): /dɪˈtɝmɪn/
Audio (CA) (file)
Audio (UK) (file)
Audio (US) (file)
- To set the boundaries or limits of.
1611, Bible, KJV edition, Acts 17:26:
- [God] hath determined the times before appointed.
1844, Francis Bacon, The Works of Francis Bacon, Lord Chancellor of England:
- The knowledge of men hitherto hath been determined by the view or sight.
- To ascertain definitely; to figure out, find out, or conclude by analyzing, calculating, or investigating.
- To fix the form or character of; to shape; to prescribe imperatively; to regulate; to settle.
1741 July 8, Jonathan Edwards, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God:
- The character of the soul is determined by the character of its God.
1913, W. Black, 1913 Webster's Dictionary:
- something divinely beautiful […] that at some time or other might influence or even determine her course of life
- To fix the course of; to impel and direct; with a remoter object preceded by to.
The news of his father's illness determined him to depart immediately.
- To bring to a conclusion, as a question or controversy; to settle authoritative or judicial sentence; to decide.
The court has determined the cause.
- To resolve on; to have a fixed intention of; also, to cause to come to a conclusion or decision; to lead.
I determined to go home at once.
- (logic) To define or limit by adding a differentia.
- (obsolete) To bring to an end; to finish.
- determine in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- determine in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- determine at OneLook Dictionary Search
- first-person singular present indicative of
- first-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person singular present subjunctive of
- third-person plural present subjunctive of
- First-person singular (eu) present subjunctive of determinar
- Third-person singular (ele, ela, also used with tu and você?) present subjunctive of determinar
- Third-person singular (você) affirmative imperative of determinar
- Third-person singular (você) negative imperative of determinar
- Formal second-person singular (usted) imperative form of determinar.
- First-person singular (yo) present subjunctive form of determinar.
- Formal second-person singular (usted) present subjunctive form of determinar.
- Third-person singular (él, ella, also used with usted?) present subjunctive form of determinar.