Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: distillâtion
- The act of falling in drops, or the act of pouring out in drops.
- That which falls in drops.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Johnson to this entry?)
- (chemistry, chemical engineering) The separation of the volatile parts of a substance from the more fixed; specifically, the operation of driving off gas or vapor from volatile liquids or solids, by heat in a retort or still, and the condensation of the products as far as possible by a cool receiver, alembic, or condenser; rectification; vaporization; condensation; as, the distillation of illuminating gas and coal, of alcohol from sour mash, or of boric acid in steam.
- The substance extracted by distilling.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Shakespeare to this entry?)
falling in drips (act)
falling in drops (thing)
separation of a substance