do right by (third-person singular simple present does right by, present participle doing right by, simple past did right by, past participle done right by)
- (idiomatic, transitive) To treat, deal with, or act toward (someone) in a morally just, socially honorable fashion.
- I know her new husband is a good man and wants to do right by our family.
- Hey man, did you finish that transaction with my cousin? You do right by him?
- 2009 August 17, Barack Obama, to the convention of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Phoenix, Arizona, transcript
- We will do right by our troops and taxpayers, and we will build the 21st Century military that we need.
- …We are not going to abandon these American heroes. We are going to do right by them.