Jump to navigation Jump to search
- A state of secrecy.
- I'll tell you, but keep it on the down low.
- (sexuality) The state of being a man who secretly sleeps with people other than his partner.
- (African-American Vernacular, sexuality) The state of being a man who secretly sleeps with other men.
- 2001 April 3, Linda Villarosa, “AIDS Education Is Aimed 'Down Low'”, in The New York times, page 5:
- I sleep with men, but I am not bisexual, and I am certainly not gay. I am not going to your clinics, I am not going to read your brochures, I am not going to get tested. I assure you that none of the brothers on the down low like me are paying the least bit of attention to anything you have to say.
- (African-American Vernacular, sexuality) A man who secretly sleeps with other men.
- In all senses except the last, always preceded by on the.
down low (comparative more down low, superlative most down low)
- (of a person) Undercover or lying about one's identity.
- (African-American Vernacular, of a man) Purporting to be heterosexual while engaged in sex with men.