Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Hyphenation: eas‧ting
easting (plural eastings)
- (cartography) The distance east of a standard reference meridian.
- (nautical) A distance traveled eastward.
- A turning towards the east.
- 1891, Thomas Hardy, Tess of the d'Urbervilles, volume 1, London: James R. Osgood, McIlvaine and Co., page 47:
- He had, in truth, drunk very little - not a fourth of the quantity which a systematic tippler could carry to church on a Sunday afternoon without a hitch in his eastings or genuflections; but the weakness of Sir John's constitution made mountains of his petty sins in this kind.
distance east of a standard reference meridian
distance traveled east
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.