From Spanish el (“the”) + cheap + -o (“mock-Spanish suffix”).
el cheapo (plural el cheapos)
- (slang, often capitalized) A mock-honorific title given to a particular person who is stingy.
- Don't expect a big tip from El Cheapo over there.
- (slang) A person who is stingy; a cheapskate.
- He's such an el cheapo that his wallet hasn't been opened for days.
- (slang) On the game show The Price Is Right, used in reference to the lowest two-digit number on a board of (initially) nine numbers in the pricing game Money Game.
el cheapo (not comparable)
- (slang) Cheap; inexpensive; of low quality.
- I only had five bucks, so I bought the el cheapo headphones.