Jump to navigation Jump to search
- An unoccupied space where something may be stored
- You can park your car in that empty space.
- You can put the key in that empty space.
- An unoccupied area or volume.
- The empty space at the sides of the page is called the "margin".
- He spends all his time staring into empty space.
- Vacuum; a space containing nothing at all
- Atoms are mostly empty space.
- A feeling of longing for someone or something that is gone; a sense of a thing's absence.
- 1986, Janet Quin-Harkin, My Secret Love, page 216:
- It didn't seem possible that he wasn't going to be standing by the Dumpster, waiting for me at lunch, or meeting me in the science lab after school. I felt an empty space where my heart had been.
- 1998, Renny Christopher, Linda Strom, Lisa Orr, Working Class Studies: 1 & 2, page 175:
- The body of the working-class man of the 1930s — and to an extent its text — is hungry, an empty space once filled by its labor.
- 2004, Eleanor Vincent, Swimming with Maya: A Mother's Story, page 211:
- Now, there is only empty space where the future should be.
vacuum — see vacuum