Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Something that encumbers; a burden that must be carried.
- 1912 January, Zane Grey, chapter 8, in Riders of the Purple Sage: A Novel, New York, N.Y.; London: Harper & Brothers Publishers, OCLC 6868219:
- Some consideration was necessary to decide whether or not to leave his rifle there. On the return, carrying the girl and a pack, it would be added encumbrance […]
- (law) An interest, right, burden, or liability attached to a title of land, such as a lien or mortgage.
- (law) One who is dependent on another.
- a widow without encumbrances, i.e. without children