Jump to navigation Jump to search
engaged (not comparable)
- Having agreed to marry a particular person (one's fiancé or fiancée) or each other.
- Busy or employed.
- Greatly interested.
- (Britain) (of a telephone) Already involved in a telephone call when a third party calls.
- Synonym: (US) busy
- I tried calling, but she (or her phone) was engaged.
- (architecture, of a column) attached to a wall or sunk into it halfway
- (of gears or cogs) in contact and in operation
- (military) being attacked or attacking
- (medicine, of a foetus) Having the widest part of its presenting part, usually the head, enter the pelvic brim or inlet.
- Synonym of
- 2002, Maria Lauret, Liberating Literature, page 81:
- Black and white women writers assumed their mantle as engaged writers, as cultural and political critics.
agreed to be married
busy or employed — see busy
already involved in a telephone call