Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -eɪʃən
- (uncountable) The act of excavating, or of making hollow, by cutting, scooping, or digging out a part of a solid mass.
- (countable) A cavity formed by cutting, digging, or scooping.
- (countable) An uncovered cutting in the earth, in distinction from a covered cutting or tunnel.
- (countable) The material dug out in making a channel or cavity.
- (uncountable) Archaeological research that unearths buildings, tombs and objects of historical value.
- (countable) A site where an archaeological exploration is being carried out.
act of excavating, or of making hollow
cavity formed by cutting, digging, or scooping
uncovered cutting in the earth, in distinction from a covered cutting or tunnel
excavation f (plural excavations)