Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The state of being special, exceptional or unique.
- The belief that something (a nation, species etc.) is exceptional, superior, or does not conform to an established norm.
- 2020 April 9, Richard Horton, “Coronavirus is the greatest global science policy failure in a generation”, in The Guardian:
- If Covid-19 eventually imbues human beings with some humility, it’s possible that we will, after all, be receptive to the lessons of this lethal pandemic. Or perhaps we will sink back into our culture of complacent exceptionalism and await the next plague that will surely arrive.
- 2021 July 20, Neil Vigdor, quoting Jen Psaki, “Bezos thanks Amazon workers and customers for his vast wealth, prompting backlash.”, in The New York Times, ISSN 0362-4331:
- “This is a moment of American exceptionalism,” Jen Psaki, the White House press secretary, said when asked about the flight during a Tuesday news conference.
- A philosophy of prevention or of intervention.
belief that a particular nation does not conform to an established norm
philosophy of prevention or of intervention