- 1 English
- 2 German
- 3 Icelandic
- 4 Luxembourgish
- 5 Swedish
falls (plural falls)
- A waterfall.
- Niagara Falls
Terms derived from falls
- plural of
- Third-person singular simple present indicative form of fall
- (conditional, somewhat formal) if, in the event that
Falls es anfängt zu regnen, müssen wir das Fenster zumachen.
- If it starts raining, we need to close the window.
- (chiefly colloquial) in case, in order to be prepared if
Lass uns das Fenster zumachen, falls es anfängt zu regnen.
- Let's close the window, in case it starts raining.
- Falls is synonymous to more common wenn (“if”), but has the advantage of being unambiguously conditional, while wenn can also be used temporally (meaning "when, whenever").
- Colloquially, falls is used somewhat differently than in standard German proper. It does occur in sense 1, but infrequently. In return, it is often heard in sense 2 where formal usage would require für den Fall, dass.
- falls in Duden online
- indefinite genitive singular of fall
- if (in the case that)
- Homophone: fals