Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfɛɹiˌboʊt/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfɛɹiˌbəʊt/
- Hyphenation: fer‧ry‧boat
ferryboat (plural ferryboats)
- (nautical) A boat used to ferry passengers, vehicles, or goods across open water, especially one that runs to a regular schedule
- 1893, James Wells Goodwin, Peyton Boyle, Robert Desty, The Federal reporter, volume 54, page 206:
- He insists that it is practically undisputed that, when the ferryboat crossed the bow of the tug to make her slip, she crossed at a distance of at least 300 feet away
- 1940, LIFE, Sep 2, 1940, page 59:
- The ferryboat "Argentina" rides toward Golden Gate, her ocean-going prow slicing the waves.
- 1983, Mary Stiles Kline, George Albert Bayless, Ferryboats: a legend on Puget Sound, link:
- It was on this vessel that the founder of the second largest ferryboat company on Puget Sound...