Jump to navigation Jump to search
goods pl (plural only)
- (business, economics) That which is produced, then traded, bought or sold, then finally consumed.
- (UK, transport) Freight, as opposed to passengers.
- (rail transport, UK) Short for goods train.
- 1962 December, “Motive Power Miscellany: North Eastern Region”, in Modern Railways, page 425:
- An unusual visitor to Leeds on September 26 was Class 4 4-6-0 No. 75042 (17A), on a Class H goods from York; it soon returned on the 6.30 p.m. Leeds-York parcels.
- (informal, often preceded by the) Something authentic, important, or revealing.
- (slang) The female body, especially when seen as desirable.
- 2007, “Good Life”, in Graduation, performed by Kanye West ft. T-Pain:
- And she got the goods / And she got that ass, I got to look, sorry!
- (slang) The male genitals.
- 1749, [John Cleland], “[Letter the First]”, in Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure [Fanny Hill], volume I, London: […] G. Fenton [i.e., Fenton and Ralph Griffiths] […], →OCLC, page 210:
- […] that enormous machine of his […] which, together with it bottom dependence, the inestimable bulse of ladies jewels, formed a grand showout of goods indeed!
- Adjectives often applied to produced, traded, or consumed "goods": returned, used, damaged, stolen, lost, dangerous, non-traded, intermediate, promotional, industrial, agricultural, imported, cheap, expensive, luxury, inferior, counterfeit, raw, processed, scarce, durable, perishable, baked, public, collective, digital, virtual, necessary, essential.
- baked goods
- bill of goods
- brown goods
- capital goods
- come up with the goods
- consumer goods
- cost of goods sold
- damaged goods
- dangerous goods
- deliver the goods
- digital goods
- dry goods
- fancy goods
- finished goods
- get the goods on, have the goods on
- goods and sales tax
- goods shed
- goods station
- goods train, goods van, goods wagon
- goods yard
- grave goods
- greige goods
- heavy goods vehicle
- red goods
- sell someone a bill of goods
- straight goods
- white goods
- Japanese: グッズ (guzzu)
that which is produced, traded, bought or sold
- goods on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- Jonathon Green (2023), “goods n.”, in Green's Dictionary of Slang
- English 1-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- Rhymes:English/ʊdz/1 syllable
- English non-lemma forms
- English noun forms
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English pluralia tantum
- British English
- en:Rail transportation
- English short forms
- English terms with quotations
- English informal terms
- English slang