Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
fettler (plural fettlers)
- A person who maintains railway lines.
- Someone whose job is to sand and grind small imperfections from metal and ceramic castings.
- (by extension) Someone who fiddles or tinkers with things.
- (slang, UK, Lancashire) A friend or mate
- How's tha' doing fettler?
- 1939. Comrade Fettler (a Union song about Fettlers])
- The summer brings its nursery, with dust and sandy blight
- But the Fettler must keep toiling, to keep the track alright.