Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (American football, Canadian football) When the ball is kicked through the uprights and over the crossbar (not after a touchdown) for 3 points.
- He kicked a 33 yard field goal just before the half.
2016 January 24, Les Chappell, “TV: Review: The Simpsons (Classic), “Natural Born Kissers” (season nine, episode 25, originally aired 05/17/1998)”, in The Onion AV Club:
- Sure, Homer and Marge being caught naked in front of the town is funny, but why not make it total humiliation? Why not have Homer dragged ass-first over a church’s glass ceiling and force the pastor to give praise to God’s floors? Why not have Homer’s rear end block a game-winning field goal?
- (basketball) A made shot that was not a free throw.
- He got six field goals in the first half, two from three-point land.
- (rugby) A goal scored where a ball that is in play but on the ground is kicked through the uprights and over the crossbar.