Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To be physically capable of going into a space
- The plug fits in the socket.
- (figuratively, intransitive) To be confident in a social situation
- The recluse did not fit in at the party.
- 2014, Ruzwana Bashir, "The untold story of how a culture of shame perpetuates abuse. I know, I was a victim", The Guardian, 29 August 2014:
- At 18 I was fortunate enough to receive an offer to study at Oxford University. I was enthralled with the exciting new world around me and tried desperately to fit in.