- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfloʊ.ɪŋ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfləʊ.ɪŋ/
- Rhymes: -əʊɪŋ
Audio (US) (file)
flowing (plural flowings)
- The action of the verb to flow
- the flowing of the river
- Tending to flow.
- Moving, proceeding or shaped smoothly, gracefully, or continuously.
2013 September 14, Jane Shilling, “The Golden Thread: the Story of Writing, by Ewan Clayton, review [print edition: Illuminating language]”, in The Daily Telegraph (Review), page R28:
- [T]he pleasure of writing on wax with a stylus is exemplified by the fine, flowing hand of a Roman scribe who made out the birth certificate of Herennia Gemella, born March 128 AD.
- a flowing dress
- flowing prose
moving, proceeding or shaped smoothly