Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- That flows; flowing, liquid.
- fluent handwriting
- 1603, Michel de Montaigne; John Florio, transl., The Essayes, or, Morall, Politike and Millitarie Discourses of Lo. Michaell de Montaigne, Knight of the Noble Order of St. Michaell, and One of the Gentlemen in Ordinary of the French King, Henry the Third His Chamber, London: Printed [...] by Val[entine] Simmes for Edward Blount dwelling in Paules churchyard, OCLC 946730821, II.12:
- For time is a fleeting thing, and which appeareth as in a shadow, with the matter ever gliding, alwaies fluent, without ever being stable or permanent […].
- (linguistics) Able to speak a language accurately, rapidly, and confidently – in a flowing way.
In casual use, “fluency” refers to language proficiency broadly, while in narrow use it refers to speaking a language flowingly, rather than haltingly.
able to speak a language accurately and confidently
fluent (plural fluents)
- (mathematics, obsolete) A continuous variable, especially one with respect to time in Newton's Method of Fluxions.