Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (physics) The state of being in a motion affected by no acceleration (force) other than that provided by gravity.
- (common usage) The state of falling with no interference from outside forces other than the air resistance (no open parachute, etc.)
- (by extension) The state of worsening out of control.
- As civil war continues in Iraq, the U.S. president's approval ratings are in freefall.
- 2010, Mick Herron, Slow Horses, page 63:
- House prices were in freefall, if you owned one.
- 2020 March 25, Rail, front cover:
- Passenger numbers in freefall as UK battles COVID-19
- 2021 February 6, Rachel Monroe, “Ultra-fast Fashion Is Eating the World”, in The Atlantic:
- Even with the economy in free fall, demand for cheap, cute clothes persisted.
being affected only by gravity
falling through atmosphere without additional drag devices
state of worsening out of control
- To drop in a state of freefall.
- A base jumper attempts to freefall for as long as possible before triggering the parachute.